Pages

Wednesday, January 07, 2009

2008 Art Review

Total collages completed: 46
Total ornaments completed: 15


Achievements in 2008:

*I think I made a big leap forward in 2008. This was the year where I started to feel like a "real" artist. I'm starting to define my style more and i'm getting better, especially when it comes to faces, side profile, and technique. Here's an example:

I decided I wanted to try and make art out of some old sketches I had done when I was just starting to do collage. You may notice a drastic difference from 2006 to 2008.

But even looking back at my artwork from a year ago, you can still see a lot has changed. Here's an example of a piece I did in 2007 and a recreation I did as a commission in 2008.


I think my vector art also improved a lot in 2008, which isn't saying much because I was always really crummy at doing anything more than basic shapes. I received a Wacom tablet for Christmas which I think will lead to more digital art in 2009.


2008 was also important because I was accepted as a member to Gallery 9. This allows me to have work on display every month and It has been a great place to show my work to new people. I also had a booth in the Lincoln Arts Festival again in 2008, which was great fun.





Goals for 2009:
I want to challenge myself to move past the static poses that have been so common in my work. I think I started to move my characters around a little in 2008, but it's definitely an area where I can improve.


What to look forward to in 2009:

February 2009 - Gallery 9 members will be particiating in a themed show called "Photo Finish: Photography in Art" where we all make art involving photography in some way. This will be an interesting project for me and I'm really looking forward to it.

June 2009 - Solo show at Gallery 9. I'm going to try a bunch of new things for this show - some paintings, some drawings, and more collages of course.

September 2009 - Hopefully I will be participating in the Lincoln Arts Festival again this year.


And finally:
Here are a few final collages I completed in 2008, all of which were commissions.

The Proposal


Creativity

White Dragon



No comments: