Pages

Thursday, December 31, 2009

2009

Favorite things of 2009

I am a major list-maker and every year I keep a detailed list of every movie I see, every game I play, and every book I read. I like being able to look back and actually remember what I did in a year. I even zero out my iPod playlist each year so I can see what songs I listened to the most.

MOVIES and TV

Total watched: 65 (16 in a theatre)

My favorite movies watched in 2009 either came out in the 90s or within the last weeks of the year. At the very tippy-top of the list are Dead Calm and Heat (both are very tense and very good), Avatar and Sherlock Holmes. Other favorites: Rock N Rolla, Watchmen, Let the Right One In, Up, Hunger, Repo! The Genetic Opera, Moon, Time after Time, and Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind.

My least favorite movies of 2009: Wanted, Rescue Dawn, and X:Men Origins: Wolverine.

Favorite TV shows in 2009: Dexter, The Mentalist, Burn Notice, True Blood, and Californication.

VIDEO GAMES

Total games played: 18

I think I finally got some confidence in my gaming ability this year and played some games that I previously thought would be too hard for me. I finally played Bioshock for the first time, which I am rather obsessed with artistically, and Half Life 2. I also really enjoyed Dragon Age Origins, which is a BioWare game and as already established with my multiple playthroughs of Mass Effect, I tend to get really emotionally involved with the characters in these games. The ending I got almost made me cry, even more so because I didn’t have a saved game before a major plot decision which led to the death of my favorite character. Curses at my failure to keep multiple saved games! Arg. Luckily You Tube exists and let me just pretend I got the better ending. Other favorites of 2009: Arkham Asylum, Uncharted 2, Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time, Borderlands, and Resident Evil 5.

BOOKS

Total books read: 14

A friend of mine got me reading Jim Butcher’s Dresden Files series and that’s pretty much all I read this year. They’re really good and I literally would pick the next one up as soon as I finished one. I also read a lot of David Sedaris this year and finally read The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy – well technically I listened to them on CD, but we’ll count that.

MUSIC

The song I listened to most in 2009 was The Hazards of Love 4 (The Drowned) from The Decemberists album THE HAZARDS OF LOVE, which is my favorite album of the year. Other favorite bands/music of 2009: Paramore, Lady Gaga – Bad Romance (good grief it’s catchy), Sia – Breathe Me, Editors – especially No Sound But the Wind and Papillon, and Mat and Kim – Daylight.

I also listened to a lot of soundtracks this year. They finally released the Sunshine score (John Murphy and Underworld), so that’s easily at the top of the list, along with the soundtracks to Moon (Clint Mansell), New Moon, Across the Universe, Repo!, and Sherlock Holmes (Hans Zimmer).

ART

Total pieces of art made: 66

I had my first solo art show which was a great success and a lot of fun.

OTHER FAVORITE THINGS IN 2009

• PAX

• Scotland

• Seeing The Decemberists again in Kansas City

• Intergalactic Mice solo show

No comments: