Pages

Wednesday, February 28, 2018

February 2018

Despite spending a majority of my February free time begrudgingly shoveling snow, scraping ice, and wishing I could hibernate until spring in some sort of blanket cocoon, I did manage to watch a couple of new things and finish a book or two.

MOVIES + TELEVISION

BLACK PANTHER
BLACK PANTHER is very good and if you haven't seen it yet I recommend you do so. While I have a few nitpicks about the pacing and story-lines that felt incomplete, they are far outweighed by all of the things I liked. This film has an array of interesting, well formed characters, including a villain with actual motivation and development and female characters with agency in roles other than just "love interest", both rarities in the Marvel cinematic universe. Plus the costuming and art design are effing spectacular, so it will make your eyes happy as well as your heart.

YURI!!! ON ICE
All of my time watching Olympic coverage this month finally put me in the right mood to finish watching YURI!!! ON ICE. It has drama. It has ice skating. It has rivalries, friendships, and cute boys falling in love. It has sparkly outfits. What's NOT to love? 💕


BOOKS

I spent a good portion of February working my way through a very hit-or-miss vampire series that I'm still not sure if I liked, so that sucked up (sorry) a majority of my reading time. Luckily I managed to read through all of the the SOCIETY OF GENTLEMEN books before that bogged me down. After falling in love with Charles' work in 2017, I decided I wanted to try and read everything else she has written, and while not my favorite of the author's work the SoG series was still a lot of fun. This trio of gay victorian romances feature lots of smooching and drama obviously, but also themes of class, inequality, family, and politics. Be warned: the covers for these books are really awkward and have very little to do with the actual stories.

PAPER GIRLS (Brian K. Vaughan, Cliff Chang)
I've seen this series mentioned on numerous "best comics" lists, but as usual I was super late to the party. I went in completely cold, with zero prior knowledge and no idea what it was about, which turned out to be a VERY GOOD IDEA. The story takes all sorts of wild twists and turns and not knowing what to expect really added to my enjoyment. So I'm not going to say anything more about PAPER GIRLS other than it follows a group of newspaper delivery girls on an unexpected adventure. The art and writing is great and I am looking forward to reading more.












ART

The main reason I didn't get much read or watched in February was that I was actually getting art done! FINALLY! In addition to adding two new giclee prints to the shop (Allerdale Hall and Pileated Woodpecker), I also made progress on 14 new Nerd Love collages, six of which are finished. While I can't bear to part with my beloved Dragon Age boyfriends Fenris and Dorian, the original collages for Tris Merigold, Imperator Furiosa, and Alyx Vance are now available.








No comments: