Pages

Thursday, May 31, 2018

May 2018



I spent a week relaxing lake-side in Canada and then the rest of the month working on drawings for an upcoming art show, so my May review blog is a little sparse. Except for the books section. I read A LOT of books at that lake. 




MOVIES

SOLO
This is literally the only new movie I watched in May, so it kind of makes the list by default. I actually quite liked this film, despite some uneven pacing and the fact that it takes a while to find its feet. It’s pretty formulaic and safe, but I think SOLO is a perfectly decent heist romp with fun characters and some good action bits. After the last two rather depressing entries into the SW franchise (and I did like The Last Jedi), I enjoyed having a bit of fluffy fun where the main goal was “complete the heist” not “save the universe AGAIN”.




BOOKS

A beautifully illustrated graphic novel about identity, love, and friendship that follows a young prince who secretly goes out at night as his fabulous alter-ego Lady Crystallia, and the seamstress who designs his gowns. I highly recommend this one. 💖

Space Opera combines two of my favorite things: space adventures and glam rock. This book is weird and clever and I already want to read it again. In the not too distant future, a group of semi-psychic blue flamingo/angler fish aliens makes first contact with Earth. In order to prove that humans are sentient and worthy of inclusion among the other space-faring life-forms, one Earth band must attend the Metagalactic Grand Prix, an extra-terrestrial talent competition that will determine the fate of humanity. This monumental task falls on the glittery shoulders of has-been glam-rock icon Decibel Jones and the one remaining member of his band The Absolute Zeroes. If the duo does well, humans will be accepted into the greater galactic community; if they fail, all human life will be exterminated. Space Opera combines the linear story of Decibel’s journey to the Grand Prix with the larger galactic history that surrounds the event, and is written in a flamboyant, funny style akin to Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

A fun contemporary romance about a woman who gets trapped in an elevator with a charming doctor and agrees to be his date at an awkward wedding the next day. Perfect popcorn romance novel set-up right there.

My big discovery for this month was the historical romances of Cat Sebastian. In the course of about a week and a half I devoured every book this author has written. I really enjoyed the different characters and pairings: criminal + soldier; confidence man + eccentric scientist; disgraced rake + proper gentleman; sea captain + vicar; and Unmasked by the Marquess which features a nonbinary MC. These books do all feature the kind of highly-awkward romance cover art that is like nails on my internal graphic design chalk board, so I was very happy to be able to read them on my kindle.


ART THINGS

I finally finished my Nerd Love series! All of the new and remaining originals are now available in my Etsy shop. Other than that, I've been working pretty steadily on prep-work for an upcoming group show at Gallery1988 (more info on that soon). 


No comments: